Friday 16 May 2008

The Great Escape

Highly improbable? Yes. Highly enjoyable? Definitely. The shout that emanated from our table when the news of a goal came from Fratton Park was one of unexpected joy. Had the Walkabout in Shepherd's Bush been showing the match on Setanta (rather than Aussie rules football) it would have been one of disbelief if the match reports were anything to go by.
A nervy Man United win combined with a nervy Fulham win and Man City being battered 8-1 by Middlesbrough of all teams provided me with quite an incredibly fulfilling day of football.
Many are labelling Fulham's survival as the greatest escape, although I'm not so sure. I was doing some work experience in the PA Sport office the day on-loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass scored in the last minute to keep Carlisle in the League. I suppose there are some parallels - Glass shouldn't have been in the penalty area when he scored the winner and, according to Danny Murphy, he shouldn't have been either.
Personally I thought Fulham were down, but only after the gutless defeat at home to Sunderland. The week before that I had convinced myself that Fulham were staying up after writing this piece, so much so I had a bet on it. Now I'm £80 better off. Cheers Fulham - that'll go towards next year's season ticket.

No comments:

Rich Text

Bad

Bad