Tuesday 18 September 2007

Divided loyalties

Just to underline my total plastic-ness when it comes to football, on Saturday I will be watching Fulham verses Man City at Craven Cottage - in the away end. If it seems odd that I would sit directly opposite my season ticket seat, then you would be right. However my mate, who is a City fan, is coming down from Manchester for the weekend and I said I would sit with him. It's only fair as I am making him come to watch Prince at the O2 the night before.
Despite being a United fan, I have been to watch City a fair few times and been happy to support them. Perhaps that's a patronising approach to the local rivals, but I don't think I could ever do the same for Chelsea or Liverpool. In fact, I know I couldn't.
In return City are a bit strange when it comes to United. No-one who works at the club is allowed to drive a red car. The deep seated hatred of the colour red has even caused them to develop a blue-coloured tomato ketchup. That's just weird.
The test for me on Saturday will be whether I'd be happy to cheer for one of my local teams against my adopted team. As I will be coming directly from the Oval where Lancashire could win the County Championship for the first time in over 50 years, I've got a feeling I will probably get carried away by the Northern fervour.
Oddly, since the start of the season I've hardly watched any Man United matches on TV. I went to the Community Shield at Wembley, but after that I've not seen a full game, not even the derby (thank god). I think attending Craven Cottage is satisfying my need to watch football and as such I just check out the results/listen to games on the radio. This will change tomorrow night with the game against Sporting Lisbon mind.

No comments:

Rich Text

Bad

Bad