Friday 29 May 2009

Track back

Just been looking back at my pre-season predictions. I highlighted the lack of a defensive midfielder, which in the end didn't really matter much until Bullard was sold and Dickson Etuhu came in and played the role rather well. Probably better than my suggested acquisition of Robbie Savage!

Most Anticipated Player: Zoltan Gera. I reckon he could shine in the side and weigh in with some very important goals. He seems to have played a good pre-season too.

Well in the end old Zoltan flattered to deceive. Got a few early chances, but didn't take them by the scruff of the neck and was edged onto the subs bench by an excellent Dempsey. His recent replacement for Davies suggests the team hasn't missed much.

Least Favourite Player: This is difficult as it's practically a completely different side. In fact from the first game of last season, I think only Simon Davies is still starting. I suppose I am still to be convinced about Brede Hangeland, although he has been improving.

In fairness I did say this was hard! Hangeland was only a nominal choice and I think that was only because I still blamed him for the defeat the previous season against Sunderland, which I was convinced cost Fulham their top flight status. Needless to saw old Brede has been imperious this season and hence I was miles off the mark. Again.

Season prediction: Last year I suggested 11th in the league with a quarter final appearance in the League Cup and fifth round in the FA Cup. Talk about being over optimistic! So this year - shit I have no idea. 14th in the league would be nice. As for the cups, an empty stadium is not very empowering. Fulham's away form means that home ties will be necessary for a repeat of last year's predictions

Once again I'm wide of the mark. Hardly a surprise given the stellar season that Fulham have had. In fact I would bow down to anyone who predicted a finish of seventh in the league for Hodgson's men. Portsmouth were 14th with 41 points this year, a full 12 points behind Fulham.
The cups prediction was not that far out. An away tie at Burnley put us out of the league cup in the second round (Fulham are automatically put into the third round next year because of Europe) but the quarter final appearance in the FA Cup proved that I had recognised some potential I guess. Incidentally I'm off to the FA Cup final tomorrow through work. I'm going to fully enjoy that one.

The moral of this story is, don't try and guess Fulham. They will confound your expectations. Either that or I'm completely useless.

No comments:

Rich Text

Bad

Bad